Mont Des Cats

The Abbey of Holy Mary of the 'Mont des Cats'

In 1826, the painter Nicolas Joseph Ruyssen subsidized the creation of a priory to the Mont des Cats. Monks of the reformed Cistercian order settled there.

In 1847, the priory was set up in the abbey under the name of “Sainte Marie du Mont” (Holy Mary of the Mount). The Trappists declared that the house of God must be also that of work. 1847 thus saw the installation of a forging mill and a brewery, under the direction of the abbot Dom Lacaes.

At the beginning, the Trappists brewed beer for their personal consumption. They produced in particular a brown ale that was strong and tasty and much appreciated by visitors. The need for creating resources led them to begin marketing of their beer. The Trappists continually improved their technique of brewing and fermentation.


Mont Des Cats 33cl

Weight: kg